Safety & Equipment FAQs
Can anyone start wild or open water swimming?
I’m new/nervous/not a strong swimmer, will I be safe?
Do I need to wear a wetsuit? Do I have to go in wearing just swimwear?
Wetsuits provide warmth and buoyancy and help you stay in and warmer for longer but are heavy to carry, restrictive in the water and take effort to put on.
Swimming in ‘skins’ (just swimwear) is amazing, allows full movement and a closer to nature experience but your swim will probably be shorter due to the cold.
If you’re not sure which you should do, just get in touch to chat.
What will I need to bring?
We have an essential kit list for each session, swim or experience that will always include…
- Warm clothing, lots of loose fitting layers, wind proof jacket, woolly hat.
On some swims/sessions/experiences you may also need…
- Tow float (most sessions)
- Swim hat & goggles (swim hats must be either flouro green or orange for visibility)
- Drink & sugary snack (essential unless provided by ourselves or café)
- Wetsuit (longer swims or some training sessions)
- Appropriate dry footwear (walking boots or sturdy trainers will be necessary for swim walks, flip flops, croc
- and sandals are not allowed).
- Swim shoes or wetsuit boots (or old trainers may do)
- Something to stand on to get changed, (old hand towel/bath mat)
- Wetsuit gloves
- Extra woolly hat for in the water
- Pealess whistle
- Waterproof pouch for phone
- Changing robe, towelling or coat type
I can’t swim very fast.. will I be too slow?
We can cater for every ability and speed. There will also be the opportunity not to swim very far at all in most our experiences for those who are looking to enjoy the benefits of cold water immersion rather than winning a distance.
I want to get some distance done and/or swim heads down, will I be held up by slower swimmers?
After my swim, will I be able to leave immediately?
No. Our waters are classed as cold even in summer. To ensure you are not feeling adverse effects of the cold, you must stay for about 15mins after you have changed. You will be encouraged to buy/bring a drink and sugary snack and have a chat before you go. The time duration of this will depend on many factors including season, air temp, water temp, activity during swim, and how well we know you. We won’t keep you longer than necessary if you need to get away.